The Anna Donson Memorial Scholarship
Given By: Dr. Paula Donson, Ph.D.
Gift Amount: $2,000
Deadline for Application Submission: May 31, 2023
The Anna Donson Memorial Scholarship will be offered once again in 2023 to an outstanding Carpatho-Rusyn student or any student enrolled in a Carpatho-Rusyn School, or who is a member of a Carpatho-Rusyn family, organization, society, or club that advances the Carpatho-Rusyn culture.
The aim of the scholarship is to assist students who themselves are members of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society, or who would advance the Carpatho-Rusyn culture, language, or tenets of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society. The purpose of this $2,000 scholarship is to recognize and provide financial assistance to an outstanding student enrolled in a higher education program (2 or 4-year duration or graduate program) or any accredited institution that offers certified academic, professional, technical, or vocational training.
The scholarship wishes to encourage and highlight the excellent contributions that our Carpatho-Rusyn people are making to their communities and beyond. The scholarship also intends to accelerate the advancement of our young Carpatho Rusyn population, expanding the development of our Carpatho-Rusyn citizens, within their community and state through higher education, advanced learning, and professional academic or vocational work.
Criteria for Selection: Recognizing that education is a lifelong experience and practice, those who are selected for this scholarship should provide evidence of a career goal or a professional goal that seeks to achieve certain results. Some students may be just beginning their practice of establishing primary early professional goals, or they may show evidence of advanced professional goals; both will be considered.
Special consideration will be given to any student who shows evidence of the following:
• Evidence of participation in the Carpatho-Rusyn Society, Carpatho-Rusyn community or culture, examples of this may be through work, engaging the community in cultural events, attendance at the Studium Carpato- Ruthenorum.
• High quality work shown by good grades or special achievements
• Use of new methods or technologies to highlight their work
• Work that introduces innovations or improvements
• Academic work that engages the public or advances the greater community
• Design of educational programs that advance cultural awareness, community learning, improving the community environment, or improving the business environment
• Programs that improve life within the community, either through science or education
Selection Procedure: Recipients of this scholarship shall be selected by the Education Committee of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society and all funds for this scholarship award shall be made by the Carpatho-Rusyn Society from the Anna Donson Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Term of Award: This scholarship is a one-year award only. The recipient is eligible to reapply in subsequent years.
Submission Requirements :
1. A certified transcript of your grades.
2. Evidence of your academic accomplishments via a current resume or educational portfolio of your projects or achievements.
3. An accompanying essay of 2 pages in length that describes your professional goals, aspirations, and objectives that address the Criteria described above.
4. A completed application form that can be obtained from the Carpatho-Rusyn Society website (provided below).
5. Two letters of reference from a former or current teacher or professor attesting to your capabilities and competencies . Additional letters to support the candidate’s eligibility are welcome.
A virtual interview may be requested.
All of the following application materials can be submitted via email to the Education Committee Chair,
Sharon Jarrow, at the following email address: email@example.com
Dr. Paula Donson